Saturday, July 15, 2006

Where I am From

This was originally a contest, here is the outline for the exercise. The contest is over, but I wanted to try it out.


I am from bicycles with baskets in the front, from Cabbage Patch Dolls and soggy pixie stix.

I am from two brick homes (seperate, but equal).
I am from Camp Marymount three weeks in the summer.
From the honeysuckle snack, rainbow azaleas, the rocky creek, crawling with crawdads.

I am from the big family Christmas, overgrown eyebrows, the Nanas and Grandads, the Nobles and a Sheridan.

I am from the loud talkin' joke tellers, the ongoing debaters and cigar smokers.
From gossips in denial and heavy looks.

I am from "I'll give you something to cry about."
From church on Sundays, no questions asked.

I am from Mid-South, Deep-South, imaginary places and pizzelles.
I am from garlic, chocolate, and sweet, sour cherry pie.
From the Mr. Mircrophone charades 'cheaters', the I-Love-You hand squeezers, the kickball atheletes.

I am from the photo family calender, the name drawing Christmas pool. I am from Aunt Jane's musty bookshelves amd Grandaddy Al's sawdust workshop.

I am from ruby red lipstick kisses and scratchy beard sugar kisses.
From soft hands braiding my hair after ritual brushing torture.

I am from much love.
From little sentimentality.


This was really great to work on. I am not a poetry person, but I really enjoyed this exercise. I want to do one for the present. Wouldn't it be a neat word time capsule of sorts, to write something like this every few seasons or years?

4 comments:

Cindy Bennett, CTA said...

This is awesome! how cool

Anonymous said...

This blog is a gift. Thank you for letting me see you so clearly. I could not love you more.
Mom

Anonymous said...

Tracy....I am so enjoying your blog. Your ability to express your thoughts with the written word and move your reader to tears is truly amazing. Your "Where I'm From" poem really pulled on my heartstrings. I think everyone should create one. Keep writing!
Love, Your Aunt Susan

Anonymous said...

As I read your poem, all I could think was, "I'm from there too!"
-Anne