Monday, July 24, 2006

Mission accomplished!

This past weekend my sister was married. I was the matron of honor, my first time in this prestigious role. My main job was to hand Matt's ring to the minister and I did a fantastic job, if I do say so myself. BTW, she picked a great bridesmaids dress. I may not ever wear it again (no matter what she tells me), but it was pretty and comfortable.No kids in the ceremony, but they were there and they looked super stinkin cute and I will have pics soon. My cousin Claire was the official photographer and she was amazing. I want a do over! Mine are so formal-y.

One thing I missed out on doing was giving a toast, either at the reception or the rehearsal dinner. I was nervous about it so I was relieved when the best man didn't come forward and get things started. Basically the Dads did two short sweet ones and that was that.

I was prepared though and I kept a little outline in my head of what I was going to say. Here were my talking points:

1. Oh wow,I can't believe my baby sister is getting married!
2. Matt is a great guy
3. Anne is a wonderful woman
4. Being good friends is essential in a sucessful marriage
5. Sometimes you may want to hit your husband over the head with an iron.
6. Those violent feelings can possibly coincide with a certain time of the month or perhaps pregancy or menopause.
7. If you want to stay friends, don't hit him with the iron, throw a glass of ice water at him instead (but not the actual glass)
8. Anne and Matt are great together
9. Damn, is my baby sister really getting married?
10. Hang on, I need another drink
11. I am going to give your children double the amount of candy and crap you have given mine and yes, I am keeping a meticulous tally.
12. The first year of marriage is a doozy, sorta like a roller coaster.
13. Remember you are good friends, but you still need you other friends too.
14. I love you both
15. Ok, now where's my drink

All in all it was a great weekend seeing tons of family I haven't seen in awhile and showing off the "Amazing Cullom 5" who were all well behaved and pretty clean too. I think we fooled them all Bwaaaa Haaaaaa Haaaaa!

2 comments:

Anothermadhousewife said...

Hey You, I just caught up on all that I hadn't read. I'm so glad you're keeping your blog. I too have considered starting a totally anonymous site, so that I could REALLY COMPLAIN about money or whatever without worrying J.J.'s parents, who both read my blog. But they love hearing about what we're up to, and I certainly don't have time to maintain two blogs. . .So why am I blogging in your comment box, you ask? I don't know.

Many congrats to your sister. Your toast would have been awesome. :)

I can't wait to see pictures of all of you!

One last thing: That line from Ryan about "Honey, something or the other. . ." made me laugh REALLY hard. The other day in the car, I heard Ju-Ju say, "That's what I'm talkin' about." ;)

OziMum said...

There ya go! There's that crazy fox!!! I'm glad you're keepin your blog! I love to read all the blogs, I've just been a slacker of late!
Happy birthday to Mary Clare (yes, catchin up on the last month or so!)

:) Lee-Anne
Australia