Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Learning about other cultures

Last night at dinner Lee let out a loud, obnoxious burp. Of course the kids laughed, even MC, and I hid my smile. However amusing bodily noises can be, I feel that as the mom I do have to teach my kids good manners and appropriate behavior. I don't want to be a nagging manners harridan, but I don't want my kids to embarrass themselves (ah who am I kidding, I don't want them to embarass me!) and I want them to understand appropriateness. For instance, boys in the company of other boys may express any manner of bodily noises both real and pretend and all is well and good. On the other hand, these same noises are not appropriate at dinner or most other places really, say Holy Mass for instance.

I decided to take the opportunity last night to share some motherly wisdom with the family after Lee's, ahem, outburst.

"In some countries, burping after a meal is actually considered very good manners." I said

This got their attention and interest immediately.

Lee joined in, "Yes, in fact in some places if you didn't burp your host would be very offended."

There were lots of ooohs and ahhs and a couple of well performed fake burps for me in appreciation for the good meal.

"Sadly, in our culture and in our home, it is considered very bad manners to burp so loudly and obnoxiously." I said fairly sternly looking at all of the kids in the eyes, including Lee.

He just grinned sheepishly and nodded and I knew he understood me and he really is going to try to remember to set the example.

Jake just smiled and cut his eyes over to Lee and said "You better start packing, Dad."

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

This is very funny! Reminds me of my dad! BTW, I tagged you for the 10 Random Facts Meme.

Anothermadhousewife said...

That is so cute. . .little comedian there.

That sounds like a great plan for next year, with your guys. I'm feeling ready to shift my focus. Since we are totally outnumbered, the little guys always seem like an interruption (which isn't fair to them), but I'd rather farm out the 2 oldest than the little ones. I'd want them to have the early time with me, that Anna and Caleb had. I just feel like it's their turn. I am going to homeschool Julia (Kind), read books to Nat, take care of Luke. I'll have plenty to do. ;)

Trixie said...

Love it! Our cousin's boys are just as guilty but they are starting to get the jist of what's ok and what isn't. Still it makes me smile when they aren't looking because they find such good humor in it.

Anonymous said...

LOL - My Ian does this and his new sis - LiLi - thinks he is so funny. I think the more I acknowledge him the worse he gets!

Love your HS blog too. We HS in East Cobb - is that the part of Atlanta you are in? Love connecting with other HS families to see what they are doing - what works and what doesn't.

Cheers!
Debbie