Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Kamping with the Kulloms: the Aftermath

We had a great time. Really.

It was so freaking cold at night, but that was really my only complaint. Lee was able to get up there first and set up the tent, that really set my heart aflutter I have to say! I arrived with our stuff which included everything but the kitchen sink. I was even able to bring my coffee maker bc the site had an electrical hook-up. Some might say that is cheating but I say it was necessary for my own health and the health of others that I was able to get my morning dose of speed, er, caffeine.

We roasted hot dogs and had the requisite s'mores and wandered around socializing with the other families. There were over 20 and there were billions of kids. The next morning we started up pretty early and enjoyed our fresh brewed coffee and the sunrise. I had to run home bc while I brought everything, I mean everything, including the kids special glow sticks and extra socks etc....I forgot my own damn bag. But, lucky me, I hurried home and even had a hot shower, hee hee. I was back around 10 and everyone gathered for a nature walk led by some Dads around the water. Our sites were on the Lake Lanier in a surprisingly quiet area and it was very beautiful. Jake found two crawdad skeletons and Laine gathered lots of shells. Luke and Ryan found sticks and rock hideaways. Another family brought a huge canoe and let us take it out, the kids all loved that and I got a great workout!

Saturday night a wonderful priest came and celebrated Mass on the beach for us and then we had a potluck dinner with bar-b-que and a big bonfire. A dad brought out the guitar and we all sang campfire tunes.

Sunday we actually slept later and I made an awesome breakfast of eggs, biscuits and bacon on the campfire. I am so proud! Lee and Ryan left early to get to Ryan's football game and the others kids helped me pack up the rest of the stuff and sadly said good-bye to all of their buddies.

This week I have done 400 loads of laundry, but I finally realized it is our sleeping bags that still smell of smoke. We were all so, so dirty (not so much moi bc I had that cheater shower) and those first showers felt great.

The kids are asking when we will go again and are ready to head out this weekend. I think there will be another trip in the spring so they can look forward to that. Maybe I will be done with the laundry from this trip by then.

2 comments:

Anothermadhousewife said...

Good luck with that laundry. I feel your pain. :)

Sonia said...

I love to camp! Sounds like you guys had a great time. 400 loads, huh? And I complain w/my 20+. (: