Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Bird studies

We began a special study on birds last week for homeschool. I was inspired by Elizabeth Foss's example of an in depth 'rabbit trail' unit her family followed. EF is my hero! I love her blog, she has beautiful ideas and her book Real Learning is one of my favorite HS resources.

Anyhow, following her example we set out to attract the birds first. We hung 2 feeders and the boys painted a simple wooded one from Michael's that I hung as well. Every morning last week we checked to see if we had any visitors and we were getting a bit sad I admit. Last winter right before we left for China, we renovated our yard and that included cutting down tons of trees. Our entire property was overgrown with ivy and gargantuan pines too close to the house so we cleared 'em out. We did leave several trees, but I feared the birds were boycotting our feeders in protest to the thinning of their habitat. I didn't really blame them.

On Friday morning I was relieved to see that they have forgiven us! Now we have many birds to observe and feed. So far we have seen; chickadees, white breasted nuthatches, robins, blue jays, cardinals, downy and red bellied woodpeckers and possibly some mockingbirds. The boys are just as excited as I am and we are looking forward to learning more about these wonderfully entertaining creatures.

Yikes, I am now an official crazy old bird lady!

No comments: