Monday, August 1, 2011

Poor Baby!

Poor Nina was in the hospital week before last. (7/18/11) The big kids were going to an arts camp and as I dropped them off I noticed Nina felt very hot. of course it's been very hot here lately, but she felt hot and was also very lethargic and had been sleeping more than usual that morning. That may not sound like much to go on, especially as new babies are pretty sleepy, but something just seemed wrong.

I said goodbye to the kids and took her to the doctor. The triage nurse took her temperature under her arm and said she was fine. As I was holding her though she still felt abnormally hot! We finally saw the doctor, our regular pediatrician whom I really like, and he examined her. There really was nothing really wrong, but he said she felt hot too and then we took a rectal temp. and it was over 102!

We headed off the to the ER and to make a long story brief she was diagnosed with a UTI and then blood sepsis and because of her age she was admitted to the children's hospital to receive IV antibiotics. We finally came home on Thursday.

I feel terrible that she was so sick and had to have such intervention. I worry that I didn't catch it soon enough, although the doctor assured me it comes on very fast. I am deeply thankful to have the resources to get her the urgent medical care she needed to heal and that she recovered so quickly.

No comments: