Friday, April 27, 2007

Hair

Today my Mom came by and as she was leaving she offered to french braid Laine's hair. It has just gotten long enough and well, she is the expert! Laine was thrilled and was so good and still.

The braids were so cute and she immediately wanted to run off and show her brothers her new 'do.




There is something about hair and mothers and daughters. Hair is such a very big part of our feminine culture. It was this discussion over at the 4Real Learning Boards that first had me pondering the whole hair/mother/daughter/sister/friend importance.

I don't really have anything deep or meaningful to say about it only that I find it interesting and comforting. I would guess that probably every woman in every culture around the world has some childhood memory involving hair and the care and maintenance of it. I have several myself and I can also recall countless discussions with friends and even mere acquaintances about hair. How to achieve a certain look, struggles with poof or flatness etc...

Many of my childhood memories involve the braids. I remember the pull and tug of my mothers fingers and the softness of her hands. Sometimes when she was doing my hair, we were in a hurry or I was particularly squirmy and that might warrant and extra tug here or there or even the dreaded bop on the head with the brush!

Now with my own daughters the memories can come rushing back as they sit before me on the bathroom counter. Laine and Mary Claire actually like bows and braids. Mary Clare doesn't always keep them in, but she will bring me them from all over the house and tip her head so I can fix her up.

After Laine was all braided up I decided to see if MC was ready for a new look too.





I love the pigtails!

I also had to include this pic. Mary Clare sure is a fox!

5 comments:

erika said...

So cute!

As a rule, my girls won't keep ANYTHING in their hair (except anna, who does her own), but I need to french braid JuJu's hair. It has gotten longer. My Mom did mine like that too, when I was little, and I remember feeling very fancy. :)

Meredith said...

What a couple of cuties!! My dd (11) loves to have her hair in french braids!! Blessings!

Pixel Fairy Princess said...

Love the braids, just love them! MC is cute too with the piggies in her hair!

Kristen Laurence said...

Beautiful pictures!

Mick said...

She's most precious and I'm jealous of anybody who can french-braid.