Monday, April 2, 2007

Holy Week

Lee and I are in a Catholic group that is involved in door to door missions during Holy Week. So not my thing. Lee however eats this stuff up and I go along for love.:) We have only participated once before in 2005. Last year we were a little busy travelling to China....

I have heard some beautiful stories about these missions and you would be surprised at how kind people are to these happy go lucky folks knocking on their doors and inviting them to church. Keep in mind we live in the bible belt and I did hear, "What? You're Catholic?!" a couple of times. This is a very community minded mission and the missionaries are just inviting people to come to the activities at the local parish. There is not supposed to be any proselytizing or confrontational stuff, just a friendly howdy, Happy Easter etc... Most people are just happy to see a friendly face and a smile. The missionaries do answer questions sometimes, just trying to clear up a few misconceptions floating around out there.

I will let you know if I hear or witness anything extraordinary. I suppose though it will just be lots of the ordinary goodness of genuine people (over 600 people!) trying to make connections and reach out to the community with kindness and hope. Actually, that in itself is pretty extraordinary really!

1 comment:

Alice Gunther said...

Jus once, I would like to open my door to find Catholics telling me about their faith! I'd have them in for tea!

Praying for you as you conduct this mission.