Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Late Winter Science and Nature


Late Winter Field Day

So we're in the car on I-75 on the way home from seeing our friends and Jake says, "Hey mom, I think that's a tornado!" Completely unphased, I look out the window and I am shocked to see this amazing funnel cloud. Luckily, I was able to get some great pictures. As we kept driving (a teensy bit faster now!) I was able to snap several more pictures. It was pretty clear this did not touch down anywhere, thank God! We spotted this in south Georgia, along I-75 on Feb.4. A couple of nights before there were some deadly tornados in north Florida.

It was very thrilling and I am just in awe of what we witnessed. Eventually it completly tapered out and just trailed off. Incidentally, we are doing a bit of weather study and had just read a Tomie DePaola book on clouds. In our region, tornado season will begin soon. Hopefully we will never see any one any closer. This is close enough for me thankyouverymuch. I hope you enjoy these pictures.






8 comments:

Anothermadhousewife said...

Oh my! Those last three are really scary.

Christina said...

Oh my goodness! Amazing pictures. I am terrified of tornadoes so I would have been too upset to take photos. I'm glad it wasn't any closer to you, although that was still way too close for me. :D

MaryM said...

You are a wild storm chaser! Amazing pictures. I think I would have been jumping in a ditch or something!

Rebecca said...

WOW! I am going to show these to my children. They really are some amazing photos!

Charlotte (Waltzing Matilda) said...

Yes, spring does have a downside for those of us living in Tornado Alley. What an amzing adventure for you and your family. I am glad you were all safe. You must have nerves of steel.

Jane Ramsey said...

Incredible pictures, Tracy. You should submit these to a magazine.

Georgia said...

Wow!! If I didn't know you were an honorable woman, I would think you were lying about taking those photos. They're so amazing, they don't even look real. Incredible...and a little scary.

Definitely submit them to some publication.

Tanya said...

Hey Tracy, I was stopping by your blog and really enjoyed it, you've done a great job! Wow, those are SOME pictures of the funnel cloud, scary!!