Monday, March 6, 2006

Whirwind weekend

We got back last night from D.C. We left at 6:30 Friday morning and got to John and Nancy's apartment in Cleveland Park about 5. Not bad! We rode the metro to a geat Lebanese place for dinner. The kids had so much fun on the metro you would think we had taken them to Disney. One strange observation, they were virtually the only children to be seen that night. It was kind of eerie. No kids anywhere, not older kids, not strollers. Right as we left the restaurant a mom walked in with 2 school age kids, other than that our 4 were the only ones. Maybe it was the area we were in? I don't know much about D.C. life so maybe we were in a big singles area?

The next morning we headed over to St. Dominic's Church for our friend's daughter's baptism. The church was beautiful and the priest who celebrated the baptism was a kind soul. Lee became a godfather to baby Marissa and I herded the kids and took pictures.

After the ceremony we headed out to the 'burbs. Dave and Carrie live in Clifton. They have a great house on a small cul-de-sac with some other fun familes. The kids played and ate and ate and played and that night we went to this indoor community pool that was incredible. It had giant slides and playsets etc. It was like a resort.

Then Sunday morning we were back on the road and got home about 7. Now Luke is running a fever, but everyone else is healthy for now.

They were all so great in the car. In typical Cullom fashion we forgot to bring the portable video player thingy that Lee had borrowed specifically for this trip. The kids were just fantastic though and we read and told jokes, listened to some Magic Treehouse stories on tape and generally had a fun time.

Today it is all about the laundry and cleaning out the car. I am also going to maill off a care package for Mary Clare! I will post pictures of the goodies. Lots of TA (travel approval: needed from the Chinese gov't for us to apply for visas and travel to China) came in Friday and today for the people who were matched in late January. I am not sure if our agency got any but they should soon. It looks like the CA (consulate appointments) are in the last week of March for these families so that leaves some dates in early April if we can get our TA soon.....This group has waited about 5 weeks for TA, but the group before was 3, you never know...........

4 comments:

OziMum said...

I came over to see who T was! Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog!
CONGRATS on your referral of your gorgeous daughter Mary Clare! AND on your amazing crafty skills!!! I'll be bookmarking your page, so I'm a bit of a "In China" page stalker...so look out!!!! I'm kidding! I don't stalk - I'll leave a comment so you know I'm there!!!
May the next month or so fly by, so you'll meet your wee one soon!
Lee-Anne

Trixie said...

Yes, Cleveland Park and much of the NW is very hip with childless couples and singletons. The families are all over Capital Hill - strollers and dogs galore. There are still families in Cleveland Park but most have grown or older kids. Everyone I know in CP has teenagers, college kids. I live in DC part-time and really love my area which is loaded with young families.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tracy...
Haven't officially congratulated you and Lee and the kids yet on your match of Miss Mary Clare without the "i". She is so cute! I am really enjoying your blog and others as well. What a great thing. I would be on this computer all the time...Yikes!!

Anonymous said...

Tracy...sorry forgot to sign my comment...Love, Susan