Monday, August 27, 2007

Diorama-Rama

Last week went pretty well considering the size of our school has doubled this year!

We are off to a great start I would say. The highlight of the week was the completion of a diorama that depicts the crossing of the Red Sea during the Exodus.



We began with a cereal box. (Yes, very healthy I know) We opened it up completely and then Jake and Ryan painted the sides blue and drew and colored some fish to paste on the 'water'. For the bottom of the sea (actually one of the narrow,long sides of the box), we spread some glue and then some sand. I made a little Moses out of pipe cleaners and he went in the front. The the stick people crowd of Israelites are behind him. Laine used watercolors to paint a sea-like background. I cut off the top of the cereal box and taped Laine's watercolor to it. That became the background of the diorama. Then I cut a sky light into the top (which was the other narrow long side of the box. In the front I cut a small hole to view the scene.




This project was based on one we found in the Story of the World vol.1 activity book. Fun was had by all. I love taking pictures of this stuff. There is no way I'll be able to save this diorama from being destroyed so the pictures are a great way to save the memories. Now I don't have to feel guilty for tossing out the crumpled and smashed box two weeks from now. This week's project is based on colored glass. I'll be sure and take more pictures.

2 comments:

Milehimama @ Mama Says said...

We start that book next week, but I didn't buy the activity book to go with it. Maybe I should... but I am totally stealing that idea!

Theresa said...

That is awesome! I love it!