Monday, October 19, 2009

Confessions of an introvert


This article is fantastic. Go read it and then come back here and tell me what you think.

I have been in denial about being and introvert. But I am done hiding. It's true, I am an introvert.

Even my bestest friend, who has known me since I was 11, was skeptical about my introversion -and she's an introvert too! We've talked about this ,at length, and discovered we've both had misconceptions about intoversion and also felt societal pressures to surpress our introverted tendencies.

Of course there is a general misunderstanding of what introversion is and also I'm very good at masking. I know there are several people who think I am this social, outgoing gal. They've been surprised after they get to know me better they realise I'm actually quite melancholic.

I'm not particularly shy and I do enjoy being with others...to a point. I know what is expected in certain social situations and of course I'm not going to run off and hide in a corner when I'm suppossed to be making small talk. I want to make others comfortable and I do genuinely care about people. Introverts are not misanthropes.

So are you an extrovert or an introvert, in general?

PS. Here is another short blurb about introvert confusion

4 comments:

Anothermadhousewife said...

I have so much to say about these articles, that I want to call you. Does that mean I'm an extrovert? ;) E

Tracy C. said...

LOL! No, just call me already!

Mommabelle said...

After I had my first child a friend asked me join her at MOPS group. The activity on that day was the Meyers-Briggs test and then applying it to our mothering/homemaking style. It was so interesting to me! I fell right on the line between introvert/extrovert. That was such a suprise for me, because I'm a little shy when I first meet people so I assumed I was firmly introverted. I sure do love to talk once I get past the small talk! It turns out I need a real balance of getting out and being home. If I don't get out I don't have energy to do the things I need to do at home. Although I do need a fair amount of quiet time to collect myself.

Colleen said...

oh my gosh! Love this article! Described me very well. I am an introvert and have known it for a long time. My spiritual director said it well - an extrovert needs people to rejuvenate and an introvert needs to alone time to rejuvenate. Thanks!