Thursday, April 23, 2009

Happy Belated Earth Day!

I like the planet. I am very glad it is here.

I can conserve. I turn off the water when I am brushing my teeth and my kids frequently follow the 'if it's yellow let it mellow...' philosophy. Unfortunately, they sometimes forget the second part (if it' s brown, flush it down). We routinely dig through the dirty clothes for something to wear and thereby saving BOTH energy and water. We recycle.

However, the most important way I contribute to 'saving the earth' is in the area of battery conservation. You see, lots of things rely on battery power these days. Lots of annoying, lousd kids things. Our policy has always been that if the battery on a toy runs out ... oh well!

After several years of this policy implementation, I have decided to go even further and expand the concept. The toy I bought Sara yesterday has this little lightup keyboard section and when I put the whole thing together, I didn't put any batteries in it at all!

I realize this is decision is quite radical, but I think we will all adjust. I know that it in is the small sacrifices we make, that big things are accomplished.

2 comments:

Anne Aurand said...

Seriously... you are an inspiration!

Anothermadhousewife said...

Tracy, I'm so glad you're blogging! I love catching up with what's going on with your crew.

CONGRATUALTIONS on the birth of little Sarah!

I hate all things battery-operated and share your policy: if it's runs out, "Oh well!"