Thursday, August 17, 2006

Gearing up for school

Public schools have all started around here and the private ones start next week I think. I think the schools are trying to slowly move the gen pop to a year round system. I understand the reasoning and it very well may be a good idea, but I am sad for summer.

We will officially start HS September 5th. It is the start date for L and L's pre-school so it seems a natural beginning for us. We joined a Catholic HS group and I am just amazed and excited about all of the activities and support that is offered. Tons of field trips, mother's nights out, book clubs for all ages and a co-op. The best thing for me is that is not all or nothing with this group, I need flexibility.

Here is the plan so far:

Math: Saxon Math 1 and 2 I like the Saxon math bc it is what they were doing last year and I like the spiral methodology. I was a bum at math in school mostly bc I never developed any real number sense. Saxon continuously builds on concepts, but relates them to what has already been covered. The kids learn how everything is related not just memorizing facts.

Reading/Spelling: This is tricky. Jake is reading wonderfully, Ryan is catching up quickly. We will do the Five in a Row (FIAR) program, along with the Catholic Mosaic books and also throw in some poetry for recitation and study. I tested them with some online assesments and they are both above their grade levels so I will be adjusting this as they continue to improve. I am having them each do spelling books as well. That will help with spelling and handwriting.

History/Geography: Well the co-op this semester is about American government. It will be plenty of material for Ryan, but I will supplement Jake with learning states and capitals and some early US history I have some workbooks and activities for that.

Art: Mommy it's a Renoir! with the art cards and there are lots of FIAR art projects and appreciation lessons.Actually, Luke and Laine are are so interested in the art cards and the early levels of this are more for their age, Jake and Ryan will move quickly through this I think.

Music: Jake will be learning the recorder and how to read music with an Usborne book. Also we are listening to the Music Masters series.

Drama: They will be in the 1st and 2nd grade Nativity play this semester for the co-op

Science: Science with Air and Science with Plants.
Sports: Ryan will be doing flag football and he is thrilled. I am looking into tennis for Jake. He likes it and has natural, easy strokes. A little Lee!

So that is the jist of it. We may get into lapbooking and/or notebooking, but we'll ease into it.

5 comments:

Anothermadhousewife said...

I'm SO excited for y'all. And also excited to find someone else waiting until September to start! :) The school around the corner from us went back on August 3rd.

ALSO, I have the Saxon 1 and 2 teachers' guides sitting on a shelf. Have you ordered them yet? If so, can you send them back? You are welcome to use these.

Anothermadhousewife said...

Oh, and I'll be in Atlanta August 27th -29th. Let me know if I should bring the books.

Anonymous said...

Hey Tracy..
Congrats on HSing. Please stop by and let us know how it is going, etc. We miss you! :o)

Elle~from TT

Pixel Fairy Princess said...

Hey - happened upon your blog and we HS too. What HS coop do you use? We are in East Cobb and looking for a group.

Deb

Suzanne said...

Could you talk about / post / email me....about Jake's Recorder "lessons"? What you're using (I think you said Usborne), what he does, do you help him, does he practice? is he actually learning how to read notes? I'm just wondering....my daughter is interested, and I wondered how this goes, as I only remember recorder lessons from school...maybe 2nd grade. Thanks!