Saturday, August 5, 2006

End Results

Raising 5 kids 7 and under is hard. I am not gonna lie. I think it would surprise most people though that what Lee and I mostly think about it though is, man this is so fun!

Every day something really wonderful happens with the kids. It could be as huge as Jake winning his class's version of 'top student of the year' award or as small as Luke getting over his fear and having a great first swim lesson. I get to hear jokes and wandering stories and I am the recipient of lots of priceless fine art. I have an endless supply of hugs, kisses and soft baby skin to stroke. In fact it is so common, that I have to force myself to sit and actually take note of how magical and transient these years of parenting are.

Combined with the wonderful things is the not so wonderful daily grind. With 3 small boys, of course the grout around my toilet always looks a tinge yellowish, no matter how much Clorox I use. Mary Clare is so active, I must constantly swoop in and yank her away from danger. Laine is so curious that if I haven't heard her ringing voice in several mineuts I hurry to check my bathroom counter to see if she has been into my make-up or my jewlery box or some of the other forbidden flotsam and jetsum that lure her. I clean the kitchen several times a day and the laundry pile is my constant enemy.

I admit that in that grind I have wished away their childhood and longed for the days when I won't be summoned from far away to wipe someone's bum. I think how nice it will be when Lee and I can take a walk around the block, alone after dinner and hold hands and talk about our day without being interrupted 400 times. Gosh, suddenly just writing that out I feel so weepy. Those days will come sooner than I am prepared for.

Still, I know it is healthy and good to keep my eye on the prize. These kids will grow up, I can't stop them and I have only this time to do my best to give them a foundation for adulthood and for eternal life. I should remember the goal is to raise adults, not children. Adults with sound faith, strong characters and loving hearts who of course adore their parents and are eager to spend holidays with them and provide many grandchildren to spoil.

So I settle in and think on the everyday wonderfulness of these 5 kiddos and continue to battle my evil foe, Mt. Laundry, knowing too soon I will win the war and it will just be two sets of dirty clothes piling up, not seven. *sniff*

1 comment:

Jennifer @ Conversion Diary said...

Wow, what a great post. My husband and I talk about this same thing a lot -- that, yeah, it's hard, but it's so wonderful too. When I was pregnant with my first everyone wanted to tell me how difficult it is, but nobody really talked much about how GREAT it is! :)