Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Yarn Along:5




I am in the middle of the biggest project I have attempted. I am making a blanket made of different 12x12 squares for my Dad. I got the original insiration from a picture of the Chain Reaction project.  


Some of the techniques used in that project were too advanced for me, so I didn't follow their guide, but I really loved the idea and so I began this. I really intended it as a Christmas gift, oh well! I was able to find lots of ideas from this book.



My Dad has pancreatic cancer.  I guess I thought the blanket was a way for me to offer comfort although he lives thousands of miles away. He's begun treatment and things seem positve right now, but pancreatic cancer is a very deadly diagnoses.  Nevertheless, we are hopeful. I'm going to see him in April with my sisterand I'm determined to finish this 'Christmas' gift before then!   I have 2 more blocks to make and then I have to finish putting them together and the edging so I'm getting close.

I just read Organized Simplicity on my kindle and was very inspired. There's nothing revolutionary in it, just the same idea that less=more, but it's presented well and has given me a good kick in the pants!


5 comments:

Elisabeth Andrée said...

Your squares are looking beautiful and I am sure together they will be an even more beautiful blanket for your father. It is such a sweet thing of you to make this for him. I am really sorry that he is so ill. Best wishes!

Jessica Snell said...

I'm sorry to hear about your father's illness. It's so scary to have a parent with cancer (my dad had cancer a few years ago; he's well now, but . . . well, you don't forget it, do you?).

I'm working on the Chain Reaction Afghan right now too, for my daughter. I've been thinking of incorporating some other 12" squares in it, and seeing yours encourages me in that direction!

EMMA said...

That's going to be one beautiful blanket. Best wishes to your father.

Kylie said...

There is nothing better than being wrapped in a blanket made with love...my prayers and best wishes for your Dad, you and your family.

Marie/Underground Crafter said...

The blanket looks great so far, and it will definitely be a great comfort. I'm sending my thoughts for a healthy recovery to you and your family.