Thursday, December 1, 2011

Fresh Beginnings

Last Sunday was the first Sunday of Advent. I have so been looking forward to this season! We have had just a really tough year here and I really feel this is a fresh start.

Interestingly, in the liturgical calendar, the Sunday just before Advent is Christ the King day where the readings and focus is on the kingship of our Lord and it is the last Sunday of the church year.

So Advent is the beginning of the new year, a fresh start! Also, CTK always falls near Thanksgiving and it just seems so appropriate to sort of end the year with reflection and thanksgiving, recognizing the gifts from my King, the one who has blessed me beyond measure. I feel so refreshed and full-hearted, ready for the preparation of Advent. I also love how the readings in Advent focus not only on the Incarnation, but on the Second Coming. So much to ponder.

We made a "Thankful Tree" again this year. I think we did it first year before last. Anyway we all write things we are thankful for and hang them up. They don't have to be just from the past year, just thankfulness in general.

It was nothing fancy, but I do really like the tradition. I have heard that some people then use these trees as Jesse trees, but I like to use a mini pre-lit Christmas tree. More Christmas lights make me happy!

                          

1 comment:

Martha said...

What a great idea...I love how the tree looks! Do you really have 7 children?