Thursday, December 24, 2009

Around the house

Our Jesse Tree I did a wonderful Jesse Tree ornament exchange a few years ago on the 4Real Learning boards and have a lovely set-that I couldn't find, so I just improvised this year and used clear glass ornaments and colred sharpies. They turned out great. Of course, I found my other stash a few days later...That's ok though. Maybe I'll make a set every few years and then each kiddo will have one of their own when they grow up. We've been following along with the Holy Heroes Advent Adventure site. I am so grateful for this free resource. We watched a short video explaining the ornament, the symbol and it's story, for the kids every night (well not every night, we missed a few, like every year).
This was the Advent calendar I made. It is just scrapbook paper on envelopes. Inside the envelopes I tucked little cards with an activity for that day. We had prayers for special people, ideas for hot chocolate, Christmas movies, stuff like that.
I just clothespinned them into a garland in our kitchen. I had this unfinished star ornament that we moved along to show what day we were on. I kept meaning to paint and/or glitter it, but never got around to it.
This is the setting up of the snow village. I only put up a few pieces this year. I must have 10-15 more parts and I just didn't feel like getting it all out. I need to remember to take a pitcure of it finished! This is how I set it up though, just stacking the buildings randomly on books and boxes then putting the lights in behind. The 'snow' is white felt and pillow stuffing. And the tree. We have a real tree this year. Also, we used colored lights. It looks great. We have no theme just tons of ornaments, handmade, bought and given to us. I know the top is bare. We have an angel, but I just couldn't get her to fit up there! So this year no topper. The angel is watching over us all from the piano.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

How nice. Your tree is lovely, your Jesse tree is much more elaborate than mine, and I love your advent calendar. Very creative idea. We used the Holy Adventure this year, too. We really enjoyed it.
cindy