Tuesday, September 29, 2009

New grout!

*UPDATE at the bottom 2/29/12*

We have tile in our kitchen. Not what I'd pick, but it came with the house. Besides the issue of all the broken plates and glasses we've had around here the last four years, I HATE the grout. I simply cannot keep it looking clean. I mean, I can clean it, disinfect it, etc..., but it just looks gross. The tile itself is a cream color and the original grout is very light. {I only know that from checking the low traffic areas under the cabinet ledges}



Eventually we'd like to add hardwood to all of the downstairs, but that is on hold right now. Things keep popping up, like having to get a new air conditioner, replacing our sewer line and fixing/replacing our deck {although we are getting it done in the best way!} So my dream of replacing the dish monster tile and the gross carpet is on the backburner for now.



BUT! I found a great interim fixer! Ready to be amazed?




















The dark part is the before.
So, are you stunned? And maybe a bit grossed out by the before? Me too!
And guess what my 'magic' solution is?
GROUT PAINT!
Yes, paint. I got outdoor acrylic paint at Hobby Lobby in a color I thought would go nicely {antique mum}, then I cleaned the area took a small brush and painted along the grout lines. I am not the most careful painter though so I use a wet paper towel to wipe down the part I get on the tile. So simple and easy. I wish I had done this ages ago.

*UPDATE*
Well this is one of the most visited pages. I think from google images? Anyway I wanted to update anyone who's wondering how it's held up. Well, it still gets dirty, but it hasn't been hard to clean and although sometimes when it's mopped the paint can get a bit peely, overall I'm still glad I did it. And it's easily touched up, if I feel like it! Thanks for checking it out and good luck with your projects.

3 comments:

Marjorie said...

That looks great, Tracy. We have oh so lovely linoleum in our kitchen and really want to replace it. My choice would be hardwood, but I have heard that it is not a good idea in a kitchen inhabited by multiple children and a dog. Tile was suggested. Do you hate tile or just the grout?

Anne Aurand said...

It looks great.... but gross at the same time-- can't wait to see it all finished! ps. thanks for the blog shout out! See you Saturday!

martha said...

I can't believe the difference! It really looks great! Great job! Can't wait to see you guys in a few weeks!